Thursday 15 March 2012

Passport to Become a Government Employee

In less than few weeks, I will become a permanent regular employee of Department of Budget and Management (DBM). Nearly six months of familiarizing myself with the agency, helped me to become an effective government employee. However, my entry into the agency was not all honey and roses; I’ve had my share of bumps and anxiety along the way. Thinking of working the Philippine government? Well, not so easy. Before one becomes an official government worker or employee, he has to first take and pass the Civil Service Exam being administered by the Civil Service Commission.

Last October 2010, a dismal 12.66 or only 12,290 examinees passed the nationwide civil service examination (I'm proud to say that I'm one of them). Out of the 97,099 who took the examination, a total of 84,809 flunked.

Data show that 9,868 passed the professional level examination, equivalent to Career Service Professional Eligibility (CSPE) for possible appointment to both first and second level positions.

The remaining 2,422 passed the sub-professional level test, equivalent to Sub-Professional Eligibility and possible appointment to first level government positions.

The first level positions, the CSC explained, include clerical trades, crafts, and custodial service positions, which require less than four years of college studies.

However, the second level positions, which cover everything from professional, technical and scientific positions up to division chief level, require at least four years of college.

Although the National Capital Region (NCR) usually has the highest passing rate in terms of regional performance, only 2,215 out of the 12,161 takers passed the test.
The CSC noted that all the civil service examination passers are now eligible to work in the government but they must also meet other education, experience and training requirements of their desired career positions to be considered for permanent appointment.

In addition, all applicants to government posts must undergo an internal screening process composed of written tests, interview and other measures to determine the most qualified candidate for a vacant position.

I never hope that I will be able to pass the government exams until one of my friends informed me that my name was posted in the CSC website as “NCR Passers”. The next thing I knew I’m preparing my application at DBM and went through the series of examinations and interviews until I was hired.

No comments:

Post a Comment