Monday 8 October 2012

And They're Off

After 2 years of wearing braces, I finally have them removed. Two years ago, I have a bad case of crooked teeth on the lower portion of my mouth. According to my dentists (take not the plural dentist, I've been to numerous dentist, it’s good to ask for second opinion and have a wide knowledge about dental braces), I have a narrow jaw that’s why my teeth overlapped each other. So, I talk to mama about it, and she made me a deal that I’ll be the one to pay for my braces.

The first few weeks of wearing braces were horrendous (I have to use superlatives here!). I barely eat anything. The only things that pass through my mouth were porridge and soup. Because of these liquid diets, I eventually lose some weight. It also increases my tolerance for pain due to maintenance and repair.

Eventually, I got used to the contraption. Slowly, I began to eat everything  The downside of having braces is that whenever I smile, my lips keep get stuck in one of those metal thingy which is embarrassing. Good thing no one has seen it or so I thought. Every time I visit my dentist I would always ask the same question over and over again, “can my braces be removed now?”, “when can we removed my braces?”,  good thing my dentist was patient and explained to me that my teeth weren't okay yet. When she did, I jump with joy and relief.

Although, I still need to wear retainers for a year or more. It wouldn't be much of a hassle. The only maintenance that I need to follow would be a yearly check-up of my teeth. I don’t need to go to the dentist every month, which is a relief. And that’s put a wide smile in my face sans the crooked teeth.

Me with braces
Me with perfect teeth
Retainers

No comments:

Post a Comment