Friday 5 June 2015

Reading Marathon

Reading is dreaming with open eyes
I've always love to read books. 

When I was a baby toddling along I always have my hardbound ABC book with me. Mama would patiently read me through ABCs and phrases until I was able to read without assistance. During the summer of 1997, I was already reading Baby-Sitters Club by Ann M. Martin at the age of 7 (never would I dream that Mama would be annoyed with me because I read to much. But then, who doesn't when one forget to eat and sleep). I would go on an adventure full of mystery and problem solving with Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and the Bobbsey Twins.

In high school, I have an on-off love affair with Sweet Valley. During this time, I also fell in love with literature and short stories, however, I detest reading technical books (i.e. math, science, accounting, etc.). Mama also gifted me with a set of encyclopedia and a big dictionary (I still use the dictionary to this day).

I am by nature not intelligent. I don't even have a photographic memory nor was I able to retain the information that I read, what more, I don't even have a perfect grammar (need practice on this one)! Can you believe it? I just love to read. Reading for me is a pleasure. I was able to travel to another place without moving (I would very much like a chance to see the world on foot).

Reading has always been a constant in my life. I remember one time during my university years, I brought a Harry Potter book and read it in class instead listening to my professor's lecture about partnership and equities. The professor swooped down and confiscated my book until the end of the class. So reading was done at home at a leisure time. I would also buy a LOT of second hand novels near school. During semester break I would to my heart's content. 

I was out of school for many years now, and I don't read as much as before. Right now, instead of books I have e-books (digital books). I have thousand in collections most of which I haven't read yet. So, I still have lot of adventure to explore, more characters to meet and more love and friendship to treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment