Wednesday 12 March 2014

Journey In Becoming A Triathlete

Three years ago, Labsie and I started our first run together at University of Santo Tomas as part of our bonding activities. Sometimes, we would run at Labsie's place during weekends to save on money and energy (Labsie usually has work during weekends, thus I would go to his place, and we can’t afford to have a date at malls every time we go out). I always tend to surpass Labsie during our little run. Little by little, I began to notice Labsie's endurance became longer and stronger. Then on December 9, 2012, JR and I, together with my siblings, ran Milo Marathon at SM MOA Pasay. Since then, he began to train himself more and entered into running races. Depending on his training, he would run 5k, 10k and on a good day – a 21k.

Our first run at UST
He likes put variation on his training. After taking a run, we would rode on a bike. Personally, I like riding on a bike better than running because I get tired easily. Labsie also began reading books/magazines and browsing the webs about running and biking. He would research anything from prolonging his endurance to increasing his strength. For those who knew him, he doesn't like to read very much, but Labsie meticulously go through pages of pages of the magazines and books that he and I brought, since I refused to read for him. Reading has become his relaxing habit (don’t ever lend him any books that’s not related to his interest!).

Biking around the subdivision
Labsie was never a fan of monotony. He would always look for some ways to train and challenge himself. So he enrolled in a swimming lesson at Bert Lozada to learn the basic of swimming and little did he know, he was preparing himself to become a triathlete. Watching him improved session after session made me proud of him because every stroke he makes, seems to make a difference to his confidence. Mostly, I just want to watch him smile and absorbs all lessons that the instructor made him do.

For someone whose working hours is erratic, he always finds time to train. On his off days we would see him swimming away at YMCA or at some other pools. He says it was the only way for him to relax, so, I didn't budge him to take a rest on his off days. All those hard works, discipline and perseverance paid off. No longer a lanky boy – he was now a triathlete. Added to that, he was also full of knowledge and wisdom.

He joins TriUnited 2014, his first triathlon event. He joins not because he wants to compete, but to enjoy the experience.  I am proud to say that he finished the race with no glitch at all.

I am proud of the man he become. He was always so full of energy it's no wonder he chose this kind of sports. And what's my role in all of this? I am always waiting at the finish line to cheer him on.

TriUnited - Labsie finally a TRIATHLETE

No comments:

Post a Comment